*in the voice of Ira Glass* Colin Eckstein on “God in Origin Theories”

“Of course. Thank you for having me back. The interview format, while a bit unconventional, certainly lent itself to naturalistic discussion and analysis in week 4. Not to mention meta-commentary, which, speaking of: hello reader.”

“…”

“Today I will be applying Harvey’s ‘Elements of the Academic Essay’ to a piece written by some poor, unskilled Theophilus who may very well be Pam. In which case, you’ve made your point, I promise I will stop making religious references in my blogposts and reflections.”

“…”

“First, the thesis—which, according to Harvey, should be true but ‘not obviously or patently true.’ Contrary to Harvey’s sage advice, however, dear Theophilus ends his first paragraph by asserting thus: ‘In theories of creationism, intelligent design, and evolution, God plays different roles in the origin of life.’ While true, this argument is certainly no new revelation. One would probably assume that different creation narratives depict God as playing different roles by virtue of the fact that they are different creation narratives.”

“…”

“I wish that I were being too harsh! But alas, Theo cannot even deliver on the patently obvious argument set before him. His evidence is entirely inappropriate for his claim. It is not, as Harvey suggests, the ‘right kind of evidence to support the thesis.’ Theo introduces the Hebrew Bible as a singly Christian document and then proceeds to recite the text as if its meaning were self-evident. The early Hebrew people understood the Genesis creation narrative as being figuratively and spiritually (not literally) true. Without ‘breaking down, interpreting, and commenting upon’ the story, Theo is unable to put Genesis chapter 1 into proper historical context—even the literalist context he seems to prefer. By failing to provide proper analysis, Theo grossly misrepresents what the Genesis story ‘means.’”

“…”

“Well… Theo’s misuse of keyterms, or, as Harvey describes them ‘the recurring terms or basic oppositions that an argument rests upon,’ dooms his argument from the start. Theo’s paper is divided into three principal sections discussing creationism, intelligent design, and evolution (i.e. his keyterms). By structuring his paper as such, Theo implies that the three categories are somehow distinct. But here’s the problem: there exist old-earth creationists that affirm evolution as God’s process of intelligent design. There are reformed Rabbis that uphold the sacred creation narrative while rejecting intelligent design in favor of evolution. In other words, Theo’s misunderstanding of key terms makes his argument not only untenable, but unintelligible.”

“…”

“This, I assume, is because Theo derelicts Harvey’s suggestion on sources. Theo should have compiled not only isolated facts, but ‘opinions or interpretations of [his] topic.’ To be honest, I’m impressed as well as disturbed. Theo MacGyvered a four page essay out of Wikipedia snippets, unconnected Bible verses, and sheer bias. And while it fails to represent any past or present state of affairs, the piece certainly covers a lot of ground in a short space. But then again… that’s what Wikipedia is for.”

12 thoughts on “*in the voice of Ira Glass* Colin Eckstein on “God in Origin Theories”

1. What i don’t realize is in truth how you are not actually a lot more
    well-liked than you may be right now. You’re so intelligent.
    You know therefore significantly when it comes to this topic,
    made me for my part consider it from so many varied angles.
    Its like men and women are not involved unless it is something to accomplish with Girl gaga!
    Your individual stuffs excellent. At all times
    deal with it up!

2. Hmm it looks like your blog ate my first comment (it was super long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up what
    I wrote and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog. I too am an aspiring blog blogger but I’m still new to everything.
    Do you have any tips for inexperienced blog writers? I’d really appreciate it.

3. All the entertainment units like TV, DVD, remote and video games can be placed in a single unit and there are more and more types
    of furniture, coming into the market, every day. If you are unable to see the property
    a second or third time you still have ways of ensuring you’re not walking into a lemon. You may find that the cost of maintaining a
    co-operative is more than for a condominium as you will have
    to pay for all expenses relating to shared spaces.

4. Most affordable fees – as the world leader in affordable volunteer travel, we’re able to keep
    our fees low by partnering with a local organization in Lima to support meaningful community projects and local employment.

5. But in spite of their distinct qualities, each of the advertising tools would’ve similar indicators to determine their efficacy in bringing awareness
    on the target audience. People generally take assistance of search engines
    like yahoo to search for their query. For any seek to succeed, you should
    take the time to plan and discover your actions.